Important Notice to Employers Regarding the Hiring of New Employees
United States Citizenship Immigration Service issued the following notice on July 17, 2017:
USCIS released a revised version of Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, on July 17. Instructions for how to download Form I-9 are available on the Form I-9 page. Employers can use this revised version or continue using Form I-9 with a revision date of 11/14/16 N through Sept. 17. On Sept. 18, employers must use the revised form with a revision date of 07/17/17 N. Employers must continue following existing storage and retention rules for any previously completed Form I-9.
Revisions to the Form I-9 instructions:
- We changed the name of the Office of Special Counsel for Immigration-Related Unfair Employment Practices to its new name, Immigrant and Employee Rights Section.
- We removed “the end of” from the phrase “the first day of employment.”
Revisions related to the List of Acceptable Documents on Form I-9:
- We added the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) to List C. Employers completing Form I-9 on a computer will be able to select Form FS-240 from the drop-down menus available in List C of Sections 2 and 3. E-Verify users will also be able to select Form FS-240 when creating a case for an employee who has presented this document for Form I-9.
- We combined all the certifications of report of birth issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545, Form DS-1350, and Form FS-240) into selection C #2 in List C.
- We renumbered all List C documents except the Social Security card. For example, the employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security on List C changed from List C #8 to List C #7.
These changes in the revised Handbook for Employers: Guidance for Completing Form I-9 (M-274), which is also easier for users to navigate.
The Form I-9 is used to verify the identity and employment authorization of individuals hired in the United States. Federal law requires employers to complete and retain a Form I-9 for every citizen and noncitizen hired after 11/6/1986. Visit I-9 Central for the:
- Form I-9 (PDF, 551 KB) This version is downloaded on your computer and has fillable sections with helpful one click help in each space.
- Form I-9 Paper Version (This version is unfillable and must be printed for completion on paper only.) (PDF, 73 KB)
- Form I-9 Supplement, Section 1 Preparer and/or Translator Certification (PDF, 816 KB) (PDF, 854 KB)
- Instructions for Form I-9 (PDF, 565 KB) (PDF, 565 KB)
- Form I-9 in Spanish (May be filled out by employers and employees in Puerto Rico ONLY) (PDF, 426 KB)
- Form I-9 Supplement in Spanish (PDF, 246 KB)
- Instructions for Form I-9 in Spanish (PDF, 367 KB)