Articulated Vehicles, greater than 26,000 lbs.5 with a Farm Truck Registration Plate or Farm Sticker (pulling a trailer or non-motorized farm implement)
1. The 18 year minimum age requirement for the driver applies, regardless of the distance driven from the home farm.
2. The medical card requirement for the driver applies, regardless of the distance driven from the home farm.
3. The hours of service logging and reporting activities will be required unless a special exemption, outlined in detail below, applies to that particular trip.
4. Requirements for driver vehicle inspection and repair will apply, regardless of distance driven from home farm.
Possible Exemptions from the Hours of Service Requirements
There are two exemptions that may apply, providing relief from the hours of service requirements. However, under the provisions of the new regulations, it is possible that one trip qualifies for the exemption, but a different trip, under different circumstances does not qualify for the same exemption.
• Ag Operation Exemption – the most helpful exemption is called the "Agricultural Operation" Exemption. In order to qualify for this exemption, transportation is limited to the hauling of livestock feed and agricultural supplies and products under the following two conditions:
oTransportation must be conducted within a 100-mile radius of the farm.
oHauling agricultural supplies and products must be conducted during the established planting and harvest season.
It is important to note that Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and Department of Agriculture responded to an earlier request from PFB by extending Pennsylvania's designated "planting and harvesting season" to a year round designation. Previously, the designation did not include the months of December, January and February.
• Short Haul Exemption - Another exemption that may apply is the "Short Haul" exemption. This exemption applies if all transportation is conducted with a 100 air-mile radius of the farm and all of the following conditions are met:
oThe driver returns to the work location (farm) within 12 consecutive hours
oThe driver has at least 10 consecutive off duty hours separating each 12 hours on duty
oThe driver does not exceed 11 hours of maximum driving time following 10 consecutive hours off duty
oThe motor carrier (farmer) that employs the driver retains a record (for a period of six months) of the following items:
Time each day the drive reported
Total number of hours the driver is on duty each day
Time driver is released each day
Total time for the proceeding seven days, if the driver is a first time driver or drives the vehicles intermittently