Article Index


Frequently Asked Questions Regarding these Regulations:

Do I now need a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) to operate my farm truck because of the regulations changes?

No. The new regulations have not changed the requirements or exemptions from CDL requirements that were in place. As always, you do not need a CDL to operate any vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (or, if towing another vehicle a gross combination weight rating) of 26,000 pounds or less. For trucks and truck tractors with a farm vehicle registration or exemption that have a gross weight rating (or gross combination weight rating) over 26,000 pounds, the Vehicle Code does not require a CDL if the driver has a Class C license, the vehicle is being operated in accordance with the farm vehicle's restrictions in use; and the vehicle is being operated within a 150-mile radius of the farm. If that same truck or truck tractor is operated beyond that 150-mile radius, the driver will need to have a CDL.

Do I need to display a hazardous materials placard?

Drivers of trucks and combinations (farm plates and farm stickers) carrying hazardous materials in amounts that require display of hazardous materials placards must comply regardless of whether the vehicle is being driven in state or outside of Pennsylvania.